“Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom”- Bertrand Russell
Let’s look at a story from the bible. “But there was a famine in Canaan, and it was so bad that Abram went farther south to Egypt, to live there for a while. When he was about to cross the border into Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, “you are a beautiful woman. When the Egyptians see you, they will assume that you are my wife, and so they will kill me and let you live. Tell them that you are my sister; then because of you they will let me live and treat me well”- Genesis 12:10-13. Abram was afraid to die so he told Sarai “you are a beautiful woman. When the Egyptians see you, they will assume that you are my wife, and so they will kill me and let you live”.
What’s the meaning of fear? According to wikipeadia.org , fear is the feeling induced by perceived threat or danger that occurs in certain types of organisms which causes a change in behavior such as fleeing, hiding or freezing from perceived traumatic events. One day Ama was cooking in the kitchen when he heard his son screaming.
Ama’s son: Yes.
Ama: Where are you?
Ama’s son: I am in my bedroom.
Ama opens the door…
Ama: What’s the problem?
Ama’s son: I just had a very bad dream. I am afraid.
Ama: Don’t be afraid. Have faith. The dream that you just had isn’t going to come to pass.
Someone might ask “How am I supposed to overcome fear?” Have faith. Faith is the act of believing in what you cannot see. Ama told her son not to be afraid but have faith. The dream his son just had isn’t going to come to pass (Ama believed in what she couldn’t see at that very moment). For you to have faith, you can digest on my acronym of faith which I wrote in my bestselling book “Procrastination. The four most important causes and how to overcome it”. They are as follows:
F- Stands for fear not
A – Stands for acknowledge
I – Stands for imagine
T – Stands for testify
H – Stands for hope
- Fear not- The first thing that you need to do to exercise faith is to fear not. You simply don’t have to be afraid in life.
- Acknowledge- The second thing that you need to do to exercise faith is to acknowledge. Acknowledgement is to accept or admit the existence of something. You need to accept the fact that there is a God up there in heaven who is going to help you accomplish whatever you desire in life.
- Imagine- The third thing that you need to do to exercise faith is to imagine. Imagination is the ability to form a picture in your mind of something that you haven’t seen or experienced. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego decided not to bow down to the gold statue. Why? Because they knew that God would by all means save them from the blazing fire. They already had a picture of what was going to happen.
- Testify – The fourth thing that you need to do to exercise faith is to testify. According to the Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, testify simply means to express a personal conviction. Do you want to travel abroad? Testify and it would surely come to pass. Trust me. It really works.
- Hope- The last thing that you need to do to exercise faith is to have hope. Hope can be defined as a feeling of expectation and a desire for a particular thing to happen. You always need to be expectant in life. Let’s end with a quote. “Hope. Sometimes that’s all you have when you have nothing else. If you have it, you have everything”-Unknown.
I am going to talk about the two most important reasons why you need to have a dream in my next article. God bless you.
For more updates, follow @urbangospelblog. Stay blessed.